Lab Tests & Fees FAQ

How do I find the tests that CAHFS offers and how much they cost?

To search for LAB TESTS & FEES.

A list of frequently requested tests for beef cattledairy cattle, alpaca/llama, horsespigspoultry, and sheep/goats is available by clicking on the specific species.

How do I find test panels?
For information regarding available TEST PANELS (group of tests often offered at a price discount) go to Diagnostic Tests and use the Panels filter option.
What is the difference between in-state fees and out-of-state fees?
In-State fees are for animals located in the state of California at the time of testing. Out-of-state fees are typically double the in-state fee listed.
Where can I find the test requirements for exporting animals to another country?
Visit to the United States Department of Agriculture Animal Health and Plant Inspection Services’ website for up to date information about international health certificate requirements.
Where can I find the test requirements for shipping livestock to another state?
Visit the California Department of Food and Agriculture’s website for up to date information about health certificate requirements.
What does CAHFS standard necropsy fee include?
CAHFS standard necropsy fee includes gross examination, histopathology, and except where indicated, most ancillary tests that are warranted based on the necropsy.
Do the fees listed apply to research or insurance necropsies?
Fees listed do not apply for research projects or insurance necropsies. For a quote or additional questions, please contact any CAHFS laboratory or phone (530) 752-4613 during normal business hours.
Does CAHFS return animal remains or perform cosmetic necropsies?
For health and safety reasons, CAHFS does not return animal remains to clients.